Have New Jobs Sent to your Inbox

Monday, July 10, 2023

Gen Z want to work ‘lazy girl jobs’. Who can blame them?

 
‘Lazy girl jobs’ mostly refer to people on computers, sending a few emails and taking home a comfortable salary. Photograph: PixelsEffect/Getty Images


originally published by The Guardian 
Daisy Jones is a writer and author of All the Things She Said



A new TikTok trend sees young women eschewing hustle culture to focus on life outside of work. Perhaps they are beating capitalism at its own game.


In the mid-2010s, I worked in a cafe in a south London art gallery. Every day I’d make a few coffees, gossip idly with customers and then take home my little sack full of generous tips. It smelled nice in there, too: like baked bread, and salty anchovies fresh from the tin. And though I’ve had jobs more suited to my genuine interests since, that cafe job was one of my favourites, mainly because of the pure leisure of it. I got paid more or less the same as I did later, as an editor at a major media publication. But I was relaxed, all of the time, and never checked my emails.

Young women have taken to calling these sorts of jobs – as in, jobs that are undemanding but well enough paid, with little personal passion involved – “lazy girl jobs”. Mostly the term refers to menial office jobs as opposed to the service industry: people on computers, sending a few emails and taking home a comfortable salary. On TikTok, the #lazygirljob hashtag currently has about 14m views, and the mood is overwhelmingly aspirational. “I love my lazy girl job,” reads one post. “I don’t have to talk to people, only come to the office twice a week.” “Me at my lazy girl job that lets me do whatever the heck I want as long as I answer emails and keep everything clean,” reads another. The posters appear to be unanimously women – I’ve seen no evidence of a “lazy boy jobs” hashtag. Perhaps the concept of men being paid more to do less isn’t quite as novel or interesting. (Similarly, there’s no male equivalent of the “girlboss” phenomenon.)

While the phrase “lazy girl job” might be relatively new, an anti-work, anti-ambition sentiment has been brewing among gen Z for quite some time now (see also: quiet quitting). These are the post-pandemic twentysomethings who spent their teens witnessing the rise and fall of the girlboss, and, disillusioned with hustle culture and the resultant burnout, would rather just take home a solid monthly wage and enjoy life within the parameters possible under capitalism. At a time when creative industries are becoming next to impossible to enter for swathes of the working class, why not just focus on having an easy life, while finding meaning and life satisfaction outside of career stress?

It’s an emergent attitude broadly backed by stats: according to a survey from Workspace Technology, almost half of gen Z would leave a workplace if they weren’t given a “hybrid work option”. Meanwhile, just 49% of gen Z say work is central to their identity, in comparison with 62% of millennials. Plenty of #lazygirljob posts echo this sentiment: “Realising at this age that I don’t care about building a ‘career’ or climbing the corporate ladder,” reads one. “All I want to do is make the most amount of money working the least amount of hours so I can spend the majority of my time with my family living life on my own terms instead of spending 40 years working for a boss who’s paying what they think is ‘fair’.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Best And Worst Times To Search For A New Job

Originally published at Forbes.com  by  Jack Kelly Not all times of the year are equal when it comes to seeking out a new job. The most oppo...

Clicky Clicky